Business Profile: Brenda Vilbro
1.What is the name of your business and what is your role? The name of my business is New Generation Skills, and I am the Director. My main responsibilities are Marketing and Setting standards.
2. Describe your business in two sentences. We assist people and organisations to improve their capability, productivity and performance. We do this through learnerships, skills programmes and customizing training solutions as required.
3. How long have you been in business? 17 years.
4. How did you get into this business? I chose to follow my heart and began working in the NGO sector where I saw a need to improve leadership skills in communities. After studying further and with my facilitation skills in demand, I took the next step of starting my own company as an accredited training provider.
5. What’s the biggest challenge you’ve faced, and how did you overcome it? There have been many, but the most recent is Covid. I quickly up-skilled our facilitators to make the shift from face-to-face to online training, and we were able to keep our head above the water.
6. What single trait/skill could you not have succeeded without? Resilience! I have been told I am a bounce back specialist and honestly speaking, nothing gets me down.
7. What is the best business advice you’ve received? Believe in yourself and your ability to be successful.
8. Your secret to business success is? I build great relationships by living my values.
9. What is your business goal for 2023? To make digital transformation a priority.
10. Tell us one thing that not many people know about you? On the weekends I enjoy going fishing. I find it very relaxing and of course just being at the sea makes you feel happier and healthier.