Skip to content
Scroll To Top
- What is the name of your business and what is your role? I am the owner of Shirley Williams Communications.
- Describe your business in two sentences. My company specialises in communication, marketing and publicity offering our service mainly in the B2B field. We help medium to large businesses communicate their brand messages using pertinent communication across a variety of media to create an impression and grow their brands,
- How long have you been in business? SWC has been running for two decades.
- How did you get into this business? I was retrenched from JSE Listed T&N Holdings where I held the position of Communications Manager for ten years. I decided it was a good time to use the skills I had learned over many years working for other companies to help Durban businesses grow.
- What’s the biggest challenge you’ve faced, and how did you overcome it? My biggest challenge has been to compete against large companies that have a plethora of skills on hand. I overcome this challenge by selecting the right freelance colleagues to augment my skills so we can be well equipped and deliver a range of professional services to meet our clients’ requirements.
- What single trait/skill could you not have succeeded without? In this business, you need to be well organised with excellent time-keeping skills to ensure deadlines are met.
- What is the best business advice you’ve received? Keep a timesheet to analyse how long it takes to complete various tasks. Use this information to accurately cost all elements of a project when quoting. Many times I have gone back to refer to timesheets before finalising a quotation.
- Your secret to business success is? Enthusiasm to deliver professional work on time and with no hidden costs.
- What is your business goal for 2021? I would like to find another client to replace one that has changed suppliers.
- Tell us one thing that not many people know about you? A am a workaholic and love learning new skills.