- What is the name of your business and what is your role? Goodie Bag Promotions Pty Ltd T/A D and H Promotions. I am a member and fully hands on doing admin, sales, deliveries and going the extra mile for our customers.
- Describe your business in two sentences. We are the go to company for all personal and corporate branding of gifting and clothing for all industries. Personal and friendly service, with a wide range of quality products.
- How long have you been in business? Business was registered in December 2011 with my previous partner who left because of too many commitments and I now have a new partner, Dennis from last year May. Slightly over 4 years.
- How did you get into this business? In 2010, our local running club asked all committee and members to try and source sponsorship (money wise) for our race which we hosted every year. An idea came to my mind while I was in Pick ‘n Pay one day and I started looking at various products that runners use and took the time to write down company names and contact details and did a lot of phoning and emailing requesting sponsorship. What I was getting in response, was offers of products from big corporate companies, which I accepted. So I started collecting and storing the boxes in my dining room and we then decided to do “Goodie Bags” for all the participants in our race. Needless to say, we had so much stock left over and decided to keep it for the following year’s race. Participants were saying our Goodie Bags were better than Comrades and that I should start a business doing Goodie Bags which I jokingly said, then I will have to charge them. In 2011, I continued with the requests for sponsorship and I was enjoying the contact with the suppliers and what I had managed to achieve. We had some new sponsors and plenty Goodie Bags for that race as well. Our Goodie Bags were a success again. So, my friend and I decided to open this business as Goodie Bag Girls Pty Ltd which was fine while it was girls only and then I met Dennis and my friend decided to step aside but would always be of help to us and Dennis became my partner but he said he was not comfortable with the name Goodie Bag Girls (he did not enjoy announcing that he was from a Girl related business J) and so we changed it. Dennis and I have been in business since September 2014.
- What’s the biggest challenge you’ve faced, and how did you overcome it? Our biggest challenge is building the business and getting customers. We have tried cold calling but it is really difficult. At this stage we have not overcome this challenge.
- What single trait/skill could you not have succeeded without? The knowledge and experience we gained from my previous partner.
- What is the best business advice you’ve received? Deal with reputable businesses.
- Your secret to business success is? Friendly service with a wide range of products for our customers.
- What is your business goal for 2016? To get our business up and running.
- Tell us one thing that not many people know about you? Although we are a promotional business, we also deal in clothing etc for construction, sports wear, hospitality & travel industry and many more business. We will always try to source those items that are sometimes difficult to obtain.
GUEST AUTHOR BIO
Sue St Leger
Owner of Sue St Leger & Associates
Sue St Leger & Associates
Sue St.Leger, owner of Sue St Leger & Associates, shares her personal tips and thoughts on the importance of women supporting other women in business, leadership and networking. As an experienced profiler and emotional intelligence assessor, she encourages fostering a supportive and empowering environment for women through self-development.