Alice Leah – Mums Mail
- Describe your business in two sentences. Mum’s Mail is a comprehensive resource for parents and other interested readers, offering them a range of info and services related to health, business, beauty, parties, entertainment, schooling, eating, the home etc.
- How long have you been in business? Since Aug 2004.
- How did you get into this business? I was working as an Advertising Sales Rep at Independent Newspapers when the founder of Mum’s Mail offered me a job. I accepted on condition that she rather sell the business to me.
- What’s the biggest challenge you’ve faced, and how did you overcome it? Wrapping my head around the overheads! As a salaried earner, you do not have to worry about the wellbeing of anyone else, as a business owner, you need to ensure that your staff are paid on time, every time. Luckily they have never been paid late!
- What single trait/skill could you not have succeeded without? My attention to detail (eagle eye) and a passion to make a difference.
- What is the best business advice you’ve received? You can say “no” (thanks to Cindy Norcott and Stephanie Berry).
- Your secret to business success is? Always responding to queries quickly.
- What is your business goal for 2015? To have more “me time” away from the office.
- Tell us one thing that not many people know about you? I was Miss Warmbaths back in 1988!