Sonja Du Toit – Sanlam
- Describe your business in two sentances. To assist people to invest their hard-earned money in the correct financial vehicles. With long term relationships ensure that all aspect of their personal financial needs would be covered. This will include drafting of wills, protecting oneself against unforeseen circumstances and growing one’s personal financial portfolio.
- How long have you been in business? 4 years with Sanlam and flying for 7 years
- How did you get into this business? I am passionate about helping people and being a financial advisor gives me the freedom to help others while still being able to fly and it also allows me to help other people manage their finances so that they can also live their dream. It’s always been a dream of mine to fly.
- What’s the biggest challenge you’ve faced, and how did you overcome it? Getting my commercial helicopter pilot license when I was newly divorced. It was a struggle to finance the lessons but I refused to give up. I was very resourceful and found a way to make the money to pay for my lessons. I was not going to allow my circumstances to prevent me from achieving my goal. With hard work, positive attitude and perseverance I am living my dream.
- What single trait/skill could you not have succeeded without? Perseverance
- What is the best business advice you’ve received? To set goals and write them down and monitor them.
- Your secret to business success is? Consistency and understanding of each person’s changing circumstances. I build relationship with my clients and I get to understand them and their needs and in each situation I help the person with a personal tailor-made solution.
- What is your business goal for 2014? To be the most professional and client centric business and to double my client base.
- Tell us one thing that not many people know about you? I am also an horticulturist and love growing orchids.